Cutest Blog Layout

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Today's Gift

My mother once wrote in a note or card that she "Didn't know it then, but she was living the best days of her life."  She was referencing the days when she was at home full time with my sister and me, and then the years where we were busy in school, bringing friends home and keeping her on her toes with all the activities.  What caught me by surprised was that she "didn't know it then."

It makes me catch my breath to wonder - what if I'm living my best days right now?   I know I will look back on them fondly and think of these moments of chaos with tenderness.  Already I can think back to the baby-years and see them with much more precious perspective.  Some days I get lost in old photographs.  I notice the softness of baby skin, the piles of mess in the background, the smoother skin on my own face.  I look for clues of days gone by in the toys and the furniture at the edges of the focused subject.  I remember the slower pace of life then, even if the cycles of eat, play, sleep, clean were never ending.  The truth is, those cycles did end and new cycles have taken their place.

The very nature of life is ever-changing and forward-moving.  This school year will end and the next one will be different.  We don't notice the subtle changes from one day to another and yet they happen ,and all at once a season has changed.  The light shines from another angle.  The colors have shifted. What I loved about one season (hello - afternoon nap time was a real gem!) morphs into something new to love about a new season (hi, you can now fold your own laundry!).

When we in the middle of life, whether it is a good day or a bad one, there is just so much we can choose to embrace - right now.

  • Practice gratitude
  • Learn contentment
  • Empower responsbility
  • Release expectations
  • Engage connection
  • Experience joy

The list feels trite and cliche', I know.  Yet these habits work to bring value to each day and each season.  It's overwhelming how quickly and unnoticed we slip into a new phase and time.  There is value in capturing the gifts here and now which will become treasures in the years to come.  Don't let today's gift go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment