Cutest Blog Layout

Thursday, June 2, 2022

A Prayer of Release For My High School Graduate

Once upon a time...A mama heart wished for a child to mother from start to finish. 


You arrived, so fresh and new, and I poured all had had into you.  Now, I think this is the finish line: High School graduation.  

Technically, you don't need me anymore and yet I'm still here.  Here for when you want to talk about girls and friendships.  Here for when you arrive home from your summer job and we sit quietly out on the patio.  Here for when you don't have the bandwidth to talk anymore and just want to sit, and lean.  You're so good at just being present.

I think of all the prayers I've prayed since I discovered you were growing in me.  Thousands of hopes and desires lifted through the infant stage during the late night feedings and changes.  I wanted to give you a fairy tale family, and even that fell apart and we rebuilt a new one together.  I think of the truly challenging school days where we worked so hard to find the ways you learned best.  Now I can even appreciate those mean kids who were so harsh to you, because it helped you know you can come to us with anything - and we always have your back.  You face nothing alone.  I cannot promise your life will be free from heartbreak or pain. When it come, I will still be here.

Dear Lord, 

Just as you gave me this son so many years ago, I release him back to you.  There isn't a day I haven't known you were with us and guiding us along together - growing me and and him in ways both seen and only felt.  Now I choose to trust you will grow each of us while we are apart.

I pray that when difficulties come, my son will draw closer to you and not push farther away.  Surround him him with positive influences who will spur him to think deeply and refine his character.  May he be willing to stand alone and still invest in friendships.  Thank you for his curiosity and humor.  Thank you for his health and even the challenges that draw him to you.  Make his path forward clear to him, so that he can go in confidence.  Remind him of your kindness and teach him to value people always over possessions.  Let him find friendship, adventure, romance and his calling. 

Thank you for letting me be his mama, for then and now, and evermore. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment