Cutest Blog Layout

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Notes on the Nine to Five

I have worked for the same company for more than fourteen years.  What began has a temporary, part time gig morphed into something much more substantial and beneficial.

This summer I accepted a position elsewhere and it was a fabulous opportunity.  There was possibility to expand, to lead, to learn.  I was nervous about the change and yet so excited to do something new after many years of the same.  It would open doors to a different future path.

And then I withdrew my acceptance of that fabulous job.

When I first approached my current employer, he said I should "Go for it" and agreed it was a great opportunity.  He said go, with his blessing.  Then a week later, he asked me to reconsider, to accept more responsibility and compensation at my current job.  The thing that put me over the top was the commute.  The new position would include a considerable commute and less of the flexibility / authority that I have earned after so many years at my current job.

From what I understand, it's rare to remain with a company more than ten years.  I guess I'll buck that trend and keep up with the loyalty I've given and received.  I'm thinking it will be a while before another opportunity worth investigating comes so my work here will continue.  It does keep life more simple and that is always a benefit in my world.




No comments:

Post a Comment