Cutest Blog Layout

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The End of Stay Home for Me & Looking Back

My life, like yours, has been impacted by global pandemic but the impact has been so gentle for us.  Mr. Wonderful and I have both been able to work from home and all five our children have been back and home.  It has been a sweet time of togetherness and "nesting" which I think we have all enjoyed.  The anxiety of those first days eased when I turned down the news and turned up the focus on hidden gifts.

The no-end-in-site-ness has shifted into a new way of doing things that I can accept and adjust. We have and will continue to grieve what we miss, yet I will not camp out there.  It's not a healthy mindset for me to dwell on what is gone.  I like to find the gifts in what we have!

My home office set up - never had one before.
As of this week, I'm back to my work office full time.  I am so sad to to leave the nest and routine we created at home.  Even though I was often interrupted and sometimes annoyed, I loved the way I could seamlessly move between work and family life.  I enjoyed leaning back to see my husband diligently working at his own desk.  I treasured the simple interactions we had over lunch, school work, video games and our spoiled pets.

Lots of family meals.  
Some of my memories of quarantine will always include how my kids pulled out all the old toys: Lincoln Logs, Legos, Minecraft figures became playthings once again.  My soon-to-be high schooler used her doll stroller to walk the dog around.  We didn't get any home projects done, but we did more baking and they finally got the routine of helping to unload the dishwasher!  We planted seeds and tilled a new garden area.  We tried a few new recipes and took many walks/drives.  Our youngest has mastered fish keeping and his aquarium is crystal clear.  I loved having everyone within arms reach.

Planting seeds.
I've read several books, and I've enjoyed my imperfect home so much.  I'm grateful for these days.  In the garden we have made it from daffodil to peony season.  We got outside a bit, had picnics, took long drives and created chalk art with most of the country.  I spent my first Easter at home.

Now, I'm shifting gears back to a morning that means getting ready by a certain time and commuting to work.  My children and I are texting often to stay connected.  My firstborn is turning sixteen this week and getting his driver's license!  My social daughter is getting connected with her real-life friends.   My youngest will finally have a procedure that has been rescheduled several times.  My step daughters have gone to other locations to catch up where they left off and our home is no longer packed.  We miss the togetherness and companionship.

A picnic makes a good day better.

Driving practice for the new driver.
Church at home, it's not the same and still we are grateful.

Those empty T.P. shelves!

Making every effort to get outside daily.

Siblings and friends.

A fish for fun!

Tree Climbing!



No comments:

Post a Comment