Cutest Blog Layout

Friday, September 29, 2017

If You Could Change One Thing...

As women, we all have that invisible list that we carry in the back of our minds about what we would change about ourselves, if we could.  It seems to be a running tab that changes somewhat through the seasons of life.  Once, larger eyes were on my list, now I'd choose skinny thighs.  In one season I longed for more time at home with children, in another more financial stability, in another less conflict in family life.  No matter the issues, there is always something I would change.

I'm sure it is the same for you.  Perhaps a larger home or bank account, maybe a smaller waistline?  Sometimes it just gets frustrating because I hear all kinds of background noise in my mind about what I wish was different, but don't truly move in the direction of making a real change.  When I see everything that I wish to change, nothing actually does. We cannot be perfect, but we can be better.

So, maybe it would be best to identify one thing that I can change and make steps in that direction.  I will never have truly skinny thighs, but I can eat healthier and keep them strong.  I doubt I will have enough money to pay outright for college, but I can save something.  I don't like feeling distant from someone close to me, so what I can I change?  I can't force connection overnight, but I can be intentional about investing in time together.  What is the one thing I can do to change something that feels too heavy to keep carrying as an "if" and would feel lighter just by starting to make the change?

We are changing seasons and in my part of the US, we enjoy a distinct (and beautiful) autumn.  Like the leaves and the light, I decided to take 30 days in September and focus on changing ONE thing.  Guess what?  I saw success, even moreso than my goal.  I am surprised, quite pleasantly so, and more convinced than ever that change is possible.  At the beginning of my attempt, I wrote in my journal that I was afraid: That it would work. That I couldn't keep up the discipline.  That even if I did the work, change wouldn't happen.  That I would miss my old way and not stick to it.

I had several goals in my mind for changes that I wanted to make, but only committed to the one in September.  I'm going to continue doing what worked as it has become real and easier now.  But I'm adding in something else that I've wanted to change.  Once again, I'm a little scared, and little intimidated, but also very encouraged by what has worked and where I've seen success.  My confidence is growing and I'm seeing the benefits of constant improvement.

So, here's to changing your dialogue from the one thing you would change to the ONE thing are doing to move toward the change you desire.  You can do it!

Ideas for Change:

  • Need to get more sleep? Try setting a bedtime.
  • Want to exercise more? Commit to walking/jogging one mile each day.
  • Looking to begin tithing? Write that check first.
  • Hoping for closer friends? Ask one friend a week to meet up.
Sometimes a little more or a little less is all it takes to move toward lasting change.  I love to hear your ideas and if you're going to go for it!





No comments:

Post a Comment