Cutest Blog Layout

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Midsummer's Night

One of the things that I remember most from my childhood was that it was just plain fun!  I think my mother could make any chore or humdrum day a fun one, if I would cooperate.  So I try to do the same for my children.  Looking for fun keeps me feeling young, too!

So today we are celebrating the longest day of the year and the first “official” day of summer.  It doesn’t take much to create a sense of fun and so we used what we had: hanging lanterns, smoothie mix, water balloons and the ultimate thrill of staying up late!  We enjoyed the late dusk on our deck bathed in the glow of colorful lanterns and launched water balloons onto the lawn.   As it darkened, we were thrilled to see fireflies emerging and we cooled the day’s heat by sipping on icy smoothies.  It wasn’t much, but it was fun, for even me! 
I don’t know that this particular event will be a stand-out in the collective memory of childhood for my three little ones.  But I want them to remember that Mommy took extra time to make life exciting, interesting and fun. 
What do you do to help make ‘mundane’ days more interesting?

1 comment:

  1. Great job -- I bet your kids will remember that for years to come!

    I don't comment much, but I love reading here.

    My mom used to do this for us too -- we had SO MUCH FUN as kids and we all have so many fond memories of those times.It is amazing how little it takes to make kids happy if Mom is excited.

    Here are a few ideas my mom did with us. Crafts: we made all sorts of things out of very little -- paper mache out of newspaper and grocery bags, painting, playdough, houses/stores out of appliance boxes. We also played "tepee" where we dragged every garden implement out of the shed and sheet/blanket out of the house and had a ball. I cringe to think of all my "good" spare sheets getting dirty, I don't know how she did it but I'm glad she did!

    Have a fun summer.

    ReplyDelete