Cutest Blog Layout

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

What if My Only Aim for the Holiday Season is Peace?


Don't miss the page I created to stay focused on a Joyful Holiday (even when life is far from perfect!)


Every year, my tendency is to dream of grande holiday plans and romanticized ideas about how the season will unfold.  Then I start blocking out time on the calendar and getting a bit more realistic.  Quickly it becomes clear that I will not accomplish everything I hoped could be done. 

This year, I'm starting off by declaring that my goal for this holiday season is peace.  Peace with my family, my schedule, my finances, my savior and my own heart.  Yes, I'm still making lists and checking them twice.  I will likely be a bit ragged from all the hustle and bustle.  But most of all, I long for peace. 

Our world is so full of chaos and conflict that the need for peace is more tangible than ever.  Blended family carry the additional stress and angst of navigating emotionally charged days and holidays.  I've realized now that I can feel both joy and sadness together, and that is alright.

My hope and aim for the season of 2017 is for my heart peaceful, joyful & genuinely happy.  I'm praying the same for my children.  No guilt, no manipulation, no bitterness.  It's just not worth it.  There will be sad moments, yes.  There will be longing, it's always mixed into second-family life.  I will allow these feelings, but I won't allow them to dominate or control my holiday season, or that of my children and step children.  Already, they pay the brunt of the price for our shortcomings. 

Here's how I'm seeking peace:

  • less on the calendar and more downtime
  • real connections and one-on-one time with the individuals in my family
  • spiritual renewal as we focus on the Advent of Christ 
  • simple traditions 
  • fostering family relationships
  • sticking to a budget and celebrating what we already have
  • prioritizing my marriage 
  • making time for silliness and fun - these childhood days are waning.
Peace. I crave it and want to be intentional about seeking it.  How will you seek and prepare for peace this year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment