Cutest Blog Layout

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Another First: Purchased a Van!

Download 062911085...jpg (101.1 KB)

For the first time in my life, I purchased a vehicle all by myself. Even before I was married, my parents made the arrangements and I just paid for my vehicle. In marriage, my spouse heard my requests and made the decision. But when my van was diagnosed to cost more in repairs than it is worth when running well, I knew it was time to look for a decent used vehicle.
I began scouring Craigslist and looking at most every mini-van that was listed. Fairly quickly it became clear what I would and would not be able to afford in a van. It’s always a bit hard to reconcile what I want, with what I can reasonably afford. So, I narrowed my search and determined some markers that I would look for:
  • No older than my existing 2002 model.
  • As close to 100,000 miles as possible.
  • No known mechanical issues.
  • Rear air vents for the kiddos.
  • At least one “amenity” like auto sliding doors or dvd player.
  • Could be paid for in cash or feasibly paid in full by the end of the year.
I test drove eight vehicles. I made offers on four. This weekend, I finally purchased one! I am thrilled to have the decision behind me and thankful that I found a great deal. Our van has the automatic sliding doors, but no dvd player – much to the chagrin of my children. But it runs well and is comfortable and I feel safe driving it wherever we choose to go.

It was oh-so-tempting to 'upgrade' to a van with more perks than my budget could reasonably afford, but I'm very thankful that I refrained from overspending.  Once again, I see God providing before I knew about my need. 

The experience of researching, test driving and purchasing a vehicle was a new one for me. If I was not divorced, I would not have had a big part in the task and so there is a sense of victory in having accomplished the purchase. Many thanks to my father who listened to me recount my test-driving, received many emails describing vehicles and finally helped me locate the chosen vehicle in the backwoods of East Tennessee. I take full ownership of my purchase, but I would not have found it without his persevering navigation skills.

I love being a mini-van-mama!

8 comments:

  1. Happy for you!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you for your amazing blog! Thank you for your vulnerability, for admitting your "flaws"---for mirroring for me the beauty in surrendering to our imperfections. I struggle daily with perfectionism. I am homeschooling my two older children (10 and 15) and am on the verge of divorce...paralyzed with fear, so afraid that I can not survive on my own and yet so weary of hanging on to what is simply comfortable and familiar and NOT a nourishing, rich, intimate relationship. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord, in your infinite love, you invite us to approach your throne of grace because of what Jesus has done. Grant to Ksmart a special measure of your love, strength, courage, and patience as she endures this turbulent time. Raise up the right people at the right time to show love, speak words of comfort, and model hearts of compassion. Through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord I also pray for Ksmart ant her husband and children - if it be in your will, soften her husbands heart, bring him closer to you and through that, back to her and their kids. We know you are in hte Heart changing buisness, please grant Grace to her and her family and bring your Joy back into thier marriage. If divorce is inevitable, give her your strength and mercy to grow as she needs to and to rely on you for all her needs. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a van that sounds identical to your new to you van, except, NEITHER of the side doors work now. I have to take it in to see if they can fix the doors, hoping that is not going to be a major repair! Otherwise our van is still running great! :-) Glad you found something that works for you!

    ReplyDelete