Cutest Blog Layout

Friday, June 17, 2011

Victoria, I know your secret and I'm not buying it.

It's time for the semi-annual sale at Victoria's Secret.  There was time I got excited about going in to the store to select some fun, new undergarments, plucking through the bins of exotic bras, lacy undies and enticing negligees that promiesed to make me irresistable.  But I haven't been in several years now.  Even though I tend to like cotton undies, I am a woman who is feminine to the core.  Now when I see the commercials or even pass the retail store, I don't see cute and frilly things to encourage feminity.  I see fake and uncomfortable things that encourage fanstasy.

Seriously, the female body is alluring and attractive, beautiful and to be celebrated.  However, I find the flaunting and restructuring of the normal shape to be offensive.  The message to me is clear: "If you don't look like this, you're not attractive in the right way.  If you aren't shapedlike these models, you must constrict, lift and conform or cut reshape to be what we deem desireable.  You are not enough to satisfy, to allure, to be wanted.  You need what we sell or you won't measure up."

It makes me sad because we get this message from so many sources.  The message that somehow we are not enough. But when it comes to something as close to our identity as our core female value, it becomes more personal and more important to guard our minds with the truth.  Because so many of us have been used, betrayed and exploited our insecurities can render us weak if we gather our value from people and not our Father. 

With a background in advertising and brand marketing, I know that corporations prey on the female desire to be beautiful and desireable.  While working with one company, the marketing V.P. often commented about "creating the need" for an unnescceary but profitable product line he was selling to women.  I give credit Victoria's branding of sexuality, just the label of "Victoria's Secret" makes most men assume that whatever the product is, it will be sexy.  How sad that they now market to the teen and even tween generations!  See the "Pink" brand?  Already, our girls are innundated with the message that they must be sexy to be valuable. 

So, for me - at least for now - I'm not buying anything from Victoria's Secret.  What they sell is not reality, but fantasy, and I'm not buying the fantasy.  My reality is pretty great.  What about you?  You may whole-heartedly disagree and I'd love to hear why.  I do not think my little personal boycott will raise one eyebrow at Victoria's Secret headquarters, but I feel good about taking this stand.

"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord" (Psalm 45:11

6 comments:

  1. Missy, You are so right. I am cotton girl all the way! I saw a VS commercial last night and thought that it was so damaging to all the young girls watching tv at 8:30 at night and seeing grown women parading around in such tiny underwear. What role models! Count me in as a boycotter too!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I already dread taking my (little!) boys to the mall knowing we have to walk by all that. And not to mention the message it sends to the girls, like you were saying. They have done too good a job "creating a need"...hopefully we do a better job of seeing through it to the Truth! Love and appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Brittany. My 10 year old son turns his eyes from the ads at the mall. My daughter is too young to notice the ads ... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having five grandchildren (2 boys and 3 girls) with the second oldest a girl (15 yrs), I know what she faces.She is seduced by what others think of her, image, image, image. So far this Victoria Secret’s part of the world has not invaded her world, but I’m sure it is coming real soon. Thanks for a good insight into the blinding ad blitzes that catch especially the younger women and girls. I worked in marketing for eight years and know well the “lure” to sell, targeting ads, etc.

    Blessings to you in your walk of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wholeheartedly AGREE! You are so right, my friend. You son't have to be perfect to be beautiful! Everyone is beautiful in thier own special way, and that should be celebrated not covered up by clothing that sends out the wrong message entirely. I'm so happy to have found your blog today!

    Blessings, Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've always been a great influence and teacher to me. Even though we haven't been in contact for awhile, I hope you know how much I appreciate your integrity and perspective. Thank you for such a wonderful post, especially for us mothers who feel the need to immediately look like models after having children. Thank you for reminding me that we can look beautiful without looking identical to the images they portray as perfection. I'm joining you in your strike!

    ReplyDelete