Cutest Blog Layout

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sweet & Strong

source: http://www.vintagevictuals.com/2009/04/southern-sweet-tea.html
Sweet tea is the standard drink for hot summer days, and this has been a hot summer.  I've made more than a few pitchers and the children have all developed a new appreciation for the refreshing beverage.  BUT, what I've really been thinking about is how I want to be a bit like my tea - both sweet and strong. 

Sweetness is readily accepted and rewarded.  That makes it fairly easy for this recovering-people-pleaser to practice.  I find joy in serving others, meeting needs and even in being the go-to girl at work.  I like being described as sweet.

I haven't always identified myself as strong.  In fact, there are times I feel so weak and ineffective that it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other.  That's okay.  Yet as I've grown and learned, struggled and succeeded in some areas, I'm more confident that I am strong.  Being strong doesn't mean an end to things that are painful or hard, but it does mean knowing I will survive them and there is life beyond any current trial. 

I feel strong when I take care of myself emotionally, physically and spiritually.  I feel strong when I make smart choices or let go of things that hold me back.  I feel especially strong when I invite others into the journey with me.  What makes you feel strong?  How do you build strength?  Do you think it's alright to feel weak?

2 comments:

  1. Sweet and strong. I like the way you put that.

    It occurs to me that some men don't like the use of the description "strong" as pertains to a woman. They think that means unfeminine. They think that means unnurturing. They think that means overbearing.

    They're very different. Strength is something I remember in my grandmother, and it came in her ability to live through difficult times stoically but graciously, to keep going through the challenges, to still enjoy all the (then) stereotypically female pursuits, including caring for her family, cooking, sewing, gardening.

    I think we talk about strength more now in a way, because we have weakened our communities, our families, our support systems - and women, especially, must be strong in order to survive - emotionally, physically, spiritually.

    A provocative post, and a fascinating one.

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you're strong. Strength isn't an emotion, but a characteristic. Sometimes the accomplishments make you feel more capable and confident, but sometimes we feel not weak, but weary. It's exhausting at times! Of course you can do accomplish everything you need to, but sometimes we just don't feel like it.
    But you already are sweet and strong!

    ReplyDelete