Cutest Blog Layout

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bright Spots

January can be a long, cold month and experience has taught me to prepare in advance to add some cheer.  I learned to love growing things from my mother, and seeing something bloom in January is an instant pick-me-up!  So during December's busy, busy days and in between gift purchasing, wrapping presents and parties, I plant something to hold promise of life in winter.

 
Try it! Here are a few more lovely ideas:
  • Something warm in the late afternoon - whether you like coffee, tea or hot chocolate, fill your insides with warmth and you'll feel better all over. 
  • Candles - the flame actually imbues warmth and a scent can invoke calm, energy or sweet memories.
  • Soups - let them simmer for a long time to fill the house with comforting flavor and hearty bellies.
  • Leave a light on - I can't stand to walk into a dark house, so I leave a lamp or hall light on constantly.  Yes, use the newer energy savings version, but don't deny yourself the light.  In winter shortened days, we cannot get enough!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog as you commented on Kingdom Twindom. I just want you to know that I am committing to pray for you daily. I read back through your blog, and I am so amazed at how you've held on to your Jesus through such devastating trials. I am also praying for your kids as they deal with the confusion and emotions of what their dad has put them through.

    You are an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through your comment at Kingdom Twindom also.

    I am a product of divorce - I have half-siblings that are 1 and 3 years younger than me (although my parents didn't divorce until I was 14). He remarried their mother - my mother's best friend.

    I tell that short soap-opera to say that never, ever, EVER did my mother EVER say anything negative to us about my bio father. As we got older, she would allow us to vent us frustrations, be mad, cry, etc. but she never said anything bad about him. I know that she wasn't perfect, but that part of her response to divorce was, IMO.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete