Cutest Blog Layout

Monday, January 31, 2011

What Gives?

It's important to find some kind of joy in every single day.  The aroma and warmth of your morning coffee?  Your perfect lunch sandwich (and a few uninterrumpted moments to enjoy it)?  The silence on the drive home?  The hero-adoration when you arrive to collect your children?  No matter how stressful or unfulfilling many moments of the day become, there has to be something to value in each day.  When I try, I usually find lots of little moments that strung together create a life of meaning.

Often for me, it is at the close of the day.  After my liitle ones are in bed, I go into a mad dash of packing lunches, folding laundry, running the vacuum, loading the dishwasher...whatever I've put off all day.  Then, shortly before I wind myself down, I sneak back into the children's rooms and stroke their sleeping little heads or backs, I often say prayer over them or give little kisses.  It puts the whole day into perspective to see their innocently slumbering selves.  My goodness, all that I do each day is mostly for their sakes, for their provisions, their comfort, their security.  To see them basking in it is great reward and gives such joy!

If there are any mothers out there reading, what gives you joy each day?  How do you keep it all in perspective when you're stretched beyond what you're able?

7 comments:

  1. I found your blog when following a couple links beginning with Moneysavingmom. I have been blessed to read about your journey. Though I am not a single mom, there are several struggles in my life that make your blog very real to me (and very applicable). I appreciate the time you take to share your heart and your story. I believe your children will be blessed by it some day. As for what I do to find joy...I love to laugh with my children. Last night, something struck my four year old as hysterical. It was the term, "Moon buggy." Don't ask me why. But he could not stop laughing. So I joined in and we made moon buggy jokes for ten minutes. It lightens my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted. For some time before I technically was a single mother, I felt like one, so I think I understand. I hope your outcome is different. I'm so thankful for the light hearted moments in each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became a single mother last April when my husband suddenly decided to leave. I just found you site the other day by way of moneysaving mom. It is so comforting to read thoughts posted by someone who understands. I know every situation is different, but I believe there are some similarites. Thank you for having the courage to share.

    I know what gets me through the day is the random hugs, "I love you's" and the "you're the best mommy ever!" from my precious 3 year old. I know she says it when that is actually what she is thinking, and she has no idea how much it means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, little ones only speak what is truly in their heart. Those moments of joy in the every day will help you through this season. Thank you for commenting. Yes, every situation is different, but it's nice to connect at the similar points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I found joy? In the middle of my storm. This year I decided to let God heal my heart and soul with His word and what ever He wants to use to heal me. I am a new single mom after 15 yrs of marriage and one 10 yrs old boy. Everyday I see God's Joy and Grace. It could be on something big or something small. But, knowing that God is good and I am His and also knowing that He cares for me and my child is more than enough. Thanks for your blog. It's been a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently found your blog, and today decided to go through and read it all from the beginning. Thank you for being so bold and open to share your hurts with us. I am a "temporarily single mom" after 10 yrs of marriage, My husband is in jail, and has been there for a year and a half - will be there for a total of 5 most likely. I too have 3 children, 10,9, and 4. It has been so hard to think of my self as single. I am in the part of this journey where I am facing reality about who my husband really was, and yet holding on to Hope that God is really doing a work and changing the both of us for the better. I find joy in all the little things as well, my 4 yr old's cute little laugh, the 9 yr old hugs for no reason at all, and my 10 yr olds sweet attempts to be the big brother and Mommy's best helper. Also is the joy I find in the body of Christ and their understanding of my situation and support in my decisions as I make this journey "alone". God bless you, and keep sharing please. You are a great encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops- just a note - I put the wrong url in for the comment above, can't find a way to edit, my blog is www.crochetaddictnc.blogspot.com. the link (when you click my name above) is to someone elses site - she doesn't have the "nc"! just so if you want to respond or come see my blog, wouldnt want to get things confused. (using the correct url in this comment. sorry for the confusion!)

    ReplyDelete