Cutest Blog Layout

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Fun

This time of year is energizing to me and I get lots of ideas for things to do. Number one on my list is to get outdoors!  This weekend I spend lots of time in the yard, clearing garden space, weeding, removing winter debris.  Here are some other ways to remind your soul that it is spring and new beginnings abound.
  • Flowers - plant some, buy some, pick some wild ones.  I promise, a fresh flower will lift your mood.  Think ahead, too.  In many parts of the country, now is the time to plant seeds that will bloom in the summertime.  If you really can't grow anything, silk/fake flowers can still boost the mood.  Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon this week. 
  • Try something new with your children.  My firstborn took off his training wheels this weekend and we practiced riding a bike.  Is there something you want to try but have been putting off, with the extra hour of daylight, this is the perfect time to make it happen.
  • Move - we all know we feel better with some exercise, so make it a priority.  Your body will thank you this summer and you will gain the mood boosting benefits now.  Take a walk, take a hike, get on your bike or just play outdoors with your little ones.   Do something silly - my kiddos crackup when I dance, but they soon join in. 
  • Lighten Up - Take advantage of the sunshine and open your shades.  Put the bulky winter sweaters in the back of the closet and keep a jacket or cardigan on hand when needed.  If you're in an area where you still need to bundle, try wearing brighter colors to remind yourself that winter won't last forever.  Even mealtimes can be lighter with less complicated meals.  Try something different - even a picnic indoors or dine al fresco just for fun.  Play music that inspires.
  • Feed the Birds - yes, put out some bird seed and watch the celebration among the wildlife.  Remember, God is caring for those birdies and he cares for you, too.  Birds are a huge decorating trend, so add some around the house.  I've got pictures of the ones around our Little House in the Foothills.
  • Be generous - stay aware of those around who might need a little pick me up.  It is so rewarding to be the one who makes someone's day.  So purchase that box of girl scout cookies.  Walk next door and say hi to the nieghbor.  Invite someone over for dinner. 
  • Look beyond yourself.  I can't help but imagine the great grief that exists in Japan today...the overwhelming losses and continous fear of aftershocks and radiation must create great anxiety for the survivors.  Let's pray for the people of Japan, for those who may still be trapped and those who will rebuild.  If you can, give.  Find a reputable agency and give.  Imagine if it was your town, your family your life crumpled and swept away. 
For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come...
Song of Solomon 2:11-12

2 comments:

  1. As a former perfection addict, I love to find people who understand how great life is just as it unfolds.

    I love your advice about planting flowers. I set out some gerbera daisies (the happiest flowers on the planet, in my opinion) and geraniums over the weekend. And replaced a hibiscus that the unusually cold winter here in North Florida zapped. My house looks so cheerful now!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I have actually managed to have a garden that GREW this year, and it made me so proud, I find myself stopping at the side of the road to pick daisys and lilys to put in vases in the house - it really does put a spring in your step - just that little thing.

    ReplyDelete