Cutest Blog Layout

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Thoughts: Gentleness, Tenderness and Softness of Spirit

I'm starting off my spring fever thoughts on a bit of a serious note.  In church today, our pastor reminded us, "Don't get hard."  The title for this post was already in my folder, but it reminded me of how true this is.  For those of us who have experienced loss, it is easy to construct a well-guarded wall that keeps more hurt from entering our world.  I lived this way for many years without realizing it.  One thing I learned was that shutting down feelings of pain also shuts down feelings of joy.  We cannot pick and choose which emotions come into our life.

This weekend I spent time in the garden. Much energy was spent breaking up the ground which winter had hardened, preparing it for the new life of spring and glorious beauty of summer. Life is has the same cycles. Perhaps you have endured a long winter in which your soul has hardened against the elements of abuse, betrayal and disappointment. It's time to prepare for a coming summer season. Soak in God's word (The One Year Chronological Bible NLT (One Year Bible: Nlt)). Engage in community with others - I can't say enough about being involved in your church. Plant seeds of friendship, beauty and faith that will bloom in a future season.


One of the ways we can remain soft, is to be aware of others.  When hurting, it's easy to become oblivious to the fact that others are hurting and in need around me.  Instead I want to be engaged and open to other people.  I desire to be a woman fully involved and living life with hope and joy.  I do not want my disappointments to determine my desitiny.  I want to remain soft, tender to our Lord's leading and available for blessing.

This weekend I spent time in the garden.  Much energy was spent breaking up the ground which winter had hardened, preparing it for the new life of spring and glorious beauty of summer.  Life is has the same cycles.  Perhaps you have endured a long winter in which your soul has hardened against the elements of abuse, betrayal and disappointment.  It's time to prepare for a coming summer season.  Soak in God's word (The One Year Chronological Bible NLT (One Year Bible: Nlt)).  Engage in community with others - I can't say enough about being involved in your church.  Plant seeds of friendship, beauty and faith that will bloom in a future season.

It's natural, it's easy to be hardened by life.  Life is tough.  It isn't fair.  So do the different thing, be soft!  Respond not with harshness, but a soft and open spirit.  It takes practice and patience, so get started today...I am!

Note:
Please know that I emphatically agree with healthy boundaries.  (Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO, To Take Control of Your Life).  Without them I was irresponsible with my own precious spirit.  I just know, too, that the pendulum can swing in the opposite direction where our boundaries become bondage to fear and we shut out blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment