Cutest Blog Layout

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When the Blues Don't Get Better

 I’m participating in the Ultimate Blog Swap. You’ll find me posting over at Not June about how things are different than what they may seem and looking for role models.  I’m excited to welcome Diana Pyle from My Weekly Goals to Far From Flawless.

Here's Diana:

Everybody has bad days, ups and downs, "the blues." I have had days like this on and off for 24 years. I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 14, and it’s been a challenging battle for me.

So, the question is... when is it normal ups and downs, and when does it become something more serious?

My mother always told me that it’s normal to be depressed for a reason... financial problems, the death or illness of a loved one, the loss of a job, a divorce, etc. But how about those times when you cry for no reason? When you "bite someone’s head off" for saying something you didn’t want to hear? When you can’t seem to find the energy to get out of bed in the morning? When absolutely nothing makes you smile?

Those are the moments that you need to realize that it’s okay to ask for help. Reach out to friends, family, and to God. Accept the help. Try therapy. Try medication. I have done both. Through medication management and a great therapist, my life has changed dramatically. The right medication can be extremely helpful. Sometimes you don’t find the right medication for your situation in the very beginning. It’s an experimental process. With your doctor’s guidance you can find the one that is right for you. I tried several different types of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds before I found the right combination for me. This is not a sign of weakness. It takes great courage to admit that you need help to get through a rough patch in your life.

And always, ALWAYS, try to focus on the positive. Be grateful. Gratitude is not easy when you’re depressed and life gets you down. Nothing is easy. Getting out of bed isn’t easy. But, trust me, there is so much to be grateful for. It helps to keep a gratitude journal. Write down every little thing you can think of that brings a smile to your face, that you are thankful for. And when you’re feeling down read your journal. Be thankful. Pray. There is hope. This to shall pass.

Missy here again: There was a two-week stretch where I was so physically exhausted and mentally drained that I was not functioning well.  I remember thinking, "If I'm not better one week from today, I will go talk to a doctor about getting on medication."  A week later, I was doing better, but giving myself that permission helped me know I could do something to take care of me.  I have family members and friends who work with their doctors to regulate their moods and I applaud them for taking good care of themselves.  Don't be afraid to do the same.

Hi, I'm Diana, and I am a mother of three beautiful children: Brianna, 13, Jessica, 9, and Christopher 4. I am also engaged to an amazing man, Tony. I grew up in New Jersey, but have been living in Alabama for the past four years. I spend most of my time working at my medical transcription job, playing with my kids, and blogging! Hop over to http://www.myweeklygoals.org/, where I write about personal growth and self improvement, and of course my kids!


Visit Life...Your Way to see all of the Ultimate Blog Swap participants!

No comments:

Post a Comment